Monday, January 28, 2008

Game Show Philosophy: A Series of Collages (4/5)

Greetings:

Continuing with my series of collages for my Digital Manipulation class, I decided to base both of my other two images on the two game shows I've produced that are consistent with my philosophy. I'll start with the collage I've made for the "Jackpot Trivia Bowl":


There it is...with representations of everything that went into making the show. In the far left column...question cards made by me that have actually been used on the show. In the second column from the left...the indispensable "Help" tokens, including the "RESET" token which can come in handy if a contestant misses a question early in the game. In the third column from the left...pictures of the money scale, the slot machine, and yours truly as the host. Finally, in the far right column, the most important part of any game show...the contestants! These are four contestants who have completed their respective games, and their resulting "winnings."

How does "Jackpot Trivia Bowl" fall in line with my philosophy? First, a contestant does not lose tuition money for an incorrect answer...all it does is stop the game. So...as long as the contestant can at least answer the first question correctly, he/she will get something. It's also possible for the contestant to win money from the slot machine: either the free $100 cash prize or the $500 and $1,000 cash bonuses that are attached to the $2,000 and $5,000 questions, respectively. Once a contestant earns cash, that money can't be taken away...even if he/she resets the game after winning it. This is consistent with my first directive, in which contestants should not leave with nothing unless they completely blow it. In fact, in order for a contestant to wind up with nothing in Jackpot Trivia Bowl...he/she, in addition to coming up empty on the slot machine, must miss the $50 question after resetting the game. That's really difficult to do...especially when an example of a $50 question is: "In the United States, how many of the seven days of the week end with 'y'?" If a contestant does miss such a question, however...there's nothing I can do for that contestant.

Also, when a contestant chooses to reset the game, he/she must return all tuition money earned from answering questions. Even if the contestant has reached $5,000 before resetting the game, the Jackpot is a minimum of $10,000. This means the contestant would be risking $5,000 to reach an amount which is at least $5,000 more than what he/she is giving up...perfectly consistent with my second directive on how the risk should always be less than or equal to the potential reward, or at least be close.

Coming soon...the conclusion of my collage series, featuring "Try Your Luck!"

No comments: